Wednesday 6 March 2013

Reading Round-Up:
February


9. 'Cora: The Unwilling Queen' by Amy Hutchinson: A brilliant re-imagining of the myth of Persephone and Hades set in present day America. A young-adult novel that kept this fully-grown adult on the edge of her seat.

10. 'Dawn of the Dreadfuls' by Steve Hockensmith: A quaint yet gory prequel to 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' that shows us the transformation of the Bennet sisters from young debutantes in waiting to zombie slayers extraordinaire.

11. 'Warm Bodies' by Isaac Marion: A kind of Romeo and Juliet with Zombies. Perfect for those who like a love story with added bite. 

12. 'The Birthing House' by Christopher Ransom: A disappointing horror novel that failed to perform. Dull characters, a plot full of holes and an untruthful blurb that compares it to 'The Shining'Avoid like the plague if you want a book that will actually scare you.

13. 'A Discovery of Witches' by Deborah Harkness: A brilliant take on the vampire genre that seems to have taken over. Intelligent characters, a deeply researched plot and a romantic relationship that doesn't take over the whole novel.

So, I didn't get as much reading done in February as I did in January but hey, it was a short month and I did read one 600-odd page novel so I still think I did pretty well. Plus, I'm well on-track to complete my goal of 40 books in 2013. According to good-reads, I'm 7 books ahead of schedule, which is awesome if you ask me.

I think my favourite book of February was 'A Discovery of Witches' although 'Warm Bodies' and 'Cora' are very close seconds. My least favourite was definitely 'The Birthing House'. I had great expectations for this novel and it just disappointed me in so many ways.

Again, I have a whole load of books lined up for March but I'm always open to suggestions and recommendations. What have you read so far this year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment