Friday 31 May 2013

What I've Been Watching:
'The Moth Diaries

As I said in my last post, my partner got us some free tickets to see the film version of Rachel Klein's novel 'The Moth Diaries'. After reading the novel, I was really excited to see this but I'll admit I was more than a little disappointed.

One of the things I liked most about the novel was the Psychology of it. Is Ernessa a Vampire or is the narrator sliding into a form of madness? This was kind of abandoned in the film. The plot became your basic Vampire story. Ernessa being a Vampire was less of a question, more of a fact. And as a result there was a lot of the plot that seemed to be unresolved. 

Take the moths for example. While reading the novel I began to see the moths as a psychological representation of the moths the narrator and her father would sit up watching for at night. In the film, they were linked solely to Ernessa and yet it was never explained why they were there.

I'm not going to labour the point because basically I have better things to do, but the characters in the film were incredibly 2D. I didn't care about them, I found them frankly quite irritating. And when the film finished I was kind of glad.

I wouldn't recommend seeing this film if you've read and enjoyed the novel. It might work for those who haven't yet read the book but I'm not even sure of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment