Sunday 20 January 2013

What I've Been Reading:
'Beautiful Creatures' by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


First off, i should admit that I'm one of those people who can't bear to watch a film if they haven't read the book on which it is based. So when I saw the trailer for the film of 'Beautiful Creatures' and decided I wanted to go see it when it's released, I just had to go and buy a copy of the book.

And I adored it.

Garcia and Stohl have brought some fresh and long-awaited new ideas to the field of YA paranormal fiction. I really enjoyed reading a novel of this type told from the perspective of a sixteen year old boy rather than a teenage girl. And it was refreshing not to have a mortal girl fall for the mysterious immortal guy she can never have (also known as the Twilight effect).

I loved the idea of Casters and the fact that destiny is not something that can be controlled. I found some of it sort of philosophical and thoughtful and yet there was none of the preachy let's-put-a-hidden-message-about-abstinence-in-here rubbish that you get with a lot of novels aimed at the younger audience.

I found myself drawn to the character of Lena Duchennes and her crazy family. I think a lot of teenage girls who will read this novel will be drawn to her and her awkwardness. Oh, and I absolutely adore her memory necklace and would sort of love to have one of my own.

I'm desperate to read the next instalment in the series. I may have to treat myself at some point in the next few weeks. And I will definitely be going to see the film when it hits the big screen next month.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment